Matthew 27:45-46; Mark 15:33-34; Psalm 22:1
The fourth saying of Jesus are words of abandonment and pain.
Jesus feels abandoned by God because he is enduring actual abandonment by God.
The Scene: a supernatural darkness covers the land for three hours.
The Cry: My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?
- Jesus actually was abandoned by God.
- The abandonment lasted during the three hour darkness.
- Jesus becomes sin for us.
Live It Out
- Reflect: Jesus is abandoned so that you are not.
- Appreciate: You ought to be so overwhelmed by what Jesus did for your sins.
- Recognize: When you feel abandoned by God, keep praying and trusting God.
- Compelled: Jesus demands your complete and full devotion, love and life.