Jesus makes final preparations for his mother’s future providing for her relationship and care.
- The circumstances: Near the cross Mary the mother of Jesus and John nearby.
Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
- The directive to Mary: You have a new family and a new relationship.
When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman,[a] here is your son,”
- The directive to John: You have a new family and a new relationship.
and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
Live It Out
Our relationships with Jesus take precedence over any other relationship: it is expressed in doing the will of God.
- Jesus invites all of us into his family and his new relationships. He serves as a model fulfilling the obligations of the Law to honor his mother.
- Mary serves as a model – at the cross and willing to do the will of God.
- John serves as a model – at the cross and willing to care for his new mother (spiritual family).