As we reflect on the final words of Jesus on the cross, we are given glimpses into the very heart of Jesus as he was dying on the cross.
- The first saying of the final words of Jesus are words of forgiveness.
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
There are three requirements for forgiveness.
- Provision: an appropriate sacrifice to atone for sin.
- Confession: the acknowledgement of wrong doing.
- Repentance: a turning away from the confessed sin.
Forgiveness is choosing not to count sin against someone.
- The second saying of the final words of Jesus are words of salvation.
Jesus answered him, I solemnly assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.
Live it Out
- Have you received God’s forgiveness?
- Are you extending forgiveness to others?
- Be a forgiver! Even when people don’t deserve it.
- Have you confessed your sins and repented?
- What is your desire?
- Receive the promise of Jesus.