Pontius Pilate, Roman Governor of Judea
- Question #1: What charges are you bringing against this man?
So Pilate came out to them and asked, “What charges are you bringing against this man?”
- Question #2: Are you the king of the Jews?
Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”
- Question #3: What is truth?
“What is truth?” retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him.
- Question #4: Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?
But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?”
- Question #5: Where do you come from?
When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.
- Question #6: Shall I crucify your king?
But they shouted, “Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!” “Shall I crucify your king?” Pilate asked.
“We have no king but Caesar,” the chief priests answered.