We need to understand and experience the filling of the Spirit in our families.
- First, we need to understand what living in the fullness of the Spirit is.
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- Spirit-filling is something we are responsible to fulfill.
- Spirit-filling is something we allow God to do for us.
- Spirit-filling is something we can observe in others.
- Spirit-filling is something we allow to be done continually.
- Spirit-filling is God working within our lives, families and churches.
- Second, we need to experience life in the fullness of the Spirit within the everyday life of the family
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.
- Spirit-filled family life is built on a new motive: reverence for Christ.
- Spirit-filled family life marriage is more about Christ and the church as it is to the husband and wife.
- Spirit-filled family life wife is to submit to her husband as an act of submission to Christ.
- Spirit-filled family life husband loves his wife as Christ loves the church and gave himself for her.
- Spirit-filled family life children obey and honor their parents, parents do not exasperate your children.
Live It Out
- What evidences of the Holy Spirit do you see in your life, in your family and in your church?
- Are you living in total and complete submission to the Holy Spirit?
- when will you invite the Holy Spirit to break through into your life and into your family and into your church?